Thursday, June 30, 2011

~Book Review~ Sweet Poison

Who and What: Sweet Poison by Ellen Hart; eBook edition; ISBN 9781429946070; *book 16 in the Jane Lawless Series*


What it's about: Jane Lawless is at her wit’s end keeping her Minneapolis restaurants running while volunteering on her father’s campaign for governor. With an eleven-point lead, the race is Ray Lawless’s to lose, but all that changes when his rival posts a list of violent criminals that are back on the streets early, thanks to Ray’s work during his career as a defense lawyer.

Corey Hodge is one of the convicts that took Ray’s advice to plead guilty for a crime that he swears he didn’t commit. Bitter from time served, revenge lurks in the back of his mind. Then one of Ray’s young campaign volunteers is killed, and with the murder mirroring the crime Corey was convicted of, Jane has to bring the killer to justice to save her father’s political career and to keep Corey from going to prison again.

The high stakes and political intrigue that fuel Sweet Poison, the latest in Lambda and Minnesota Book Award--winning author Ellen Hart’s absorbing Jane Lawless series, make for an intense mystery of ambition and obsession. (goodreads)

What I thought about it: Even though it took me a while to read it wasn't because it was a bad book. In fact, I found it very well written with enough twists to keep you guessing, but not too many that you get confused. The ending definitely left me wanting to know what happens in the next book. I had never read anything by Ellen Hart before and I picked this just based on the title alone. 

Where I got it: I bought it from Kobo Books for my eReader

Would I recommend it: Yes - *but* the majority of the relationships in this book are homosexual. There is nothing graphic, just basic relationship drama. I have friends and family who are gay so it doesn't bother me at all - but if you are going to bothered I wouldn't read it. It would be a shame though because it really is a good book.

Challenges this book counts towards: 100 Books in a Year; Goodreads June Mini Challenge (4/5)

~ Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing comments is almost as good as reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...