Wednesday, June 1, 2011

~Audiobook Review~ The Gingerbread Girl by Stephen King

Who and What: The Gingerbread Girl by Stephen King; Audiobook Edition; ISBN 9780743571180; Narrated by Mare Winningham


What it's about: In the emotional aftermath of her baby's sudden death, Em starts running. Soon she runs from her husband, to the airport, down to the Florida Gulf and out to the loneliest stretch of Vermillion Key, where her father has offered the use of a conch shack he has kept there for years. Em keeps up her running -- barefoot on the beach, sneakers on the road -- and sees virtually no one. This is doing her all kinds of good, until one day she makes the mistake of looking into the driveway of a man named Pickering. Pickering also enjoys the privacy of Vermillion Key, but the young women he brings there suffer the consequences. Will Em be next? (goodreads) 

What I thought about it: The narration was spot on. A well written novella that had me gasping, hoping, and even saying "Don't do that!". Not freaky scary like a lot of King's other offerings, but suspenseful scary. If you are thinking about trying audiobooks I would suggest this as a good starting point - it's not too long and it's worth the listen.

How I rate it: For the first time in a long time I can actually say I loved a book. Even though I'm sure a lot had to do with the brilliant narration the story was still well written.

Where I got it: My personal bookshop (AKA the public library!)

Challenges this counts towards: 2011 Audiobook Challenge

~ Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing comments is almost as good as reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...