Friday, April 1, 2011

~Review~ Scone Cold Dead by Kaitylyn Dunnett

Synopsis (from book jacket) - After a knee injury forces professional Scottish dancer Liss MacCrimmon to give up her life of performing strathspeys, reels, jigs and Highland flings, she returns to her hometown of Moosetookalook, Maine, where she runs a Scottish Emporium. With one solved murder case under her dance belt, Liss has no idea she's about to spiral into another...


Switching to a life without footlights or greasepaint has been easier than Liss MacCrimmon expected. After seven months in her hometown of Moosetookalook, Maine, she's been able to keep her feet in the dance world by offering lessons to a few of the local children. Running the town's Scottish Emporium with her aunt, working on her physical therapy for her knee injury, and starting a budding romance with Dan Ruskin, a neighbor and former high school classmate, has kept her more than busy.


Still, she misses the life of a professional dancer with Strathspey, the Scottish dance company she belonged to before her knee injury forced her into early retirement. When the company goes on tour, Liss is instrumental in bringing the show to her hometown. Overjoyed at the prospect of seeing her old friends again, even if she can't dance with them, Liss arranges a reception for the troupe complete with a Scottish theme that includes a new spin on the classic Scottish scone her very own recipe for "cocktail scones."


Liss soon realizes that life in the group isn't all happy jigs and fancy dancing. Victor Owens, the company manager, has been making life miserable for every member of the company. She has no idea how miserable until Victor bites into one of Liss's prized cocktail scones, collapses and dies.


When the police set their sights on Liss and her best friends, it's up to Liss to find out whodunit before the killer makes an encore. With a missing ingenue, potential embezzlement, several secret romantic relationships, and a murderer in the mix, she'll have to work fast to uncover what is really going on backstage when the curtain falls on Strathspey.




My thoughts - This is the first book I've read by this author. I actually liked it. The characters had some depth and the doors are open for more mysteries starring Liss and the town of Moosetookalook. I actually love the name of the town too! I had some issues with all the dance lingo. For someone who knows nothing about dance, I don't need to in-depth, but a little more than what was offered. You know, don't bore me with the details, but give me something to picture in my head kind of thing.

I found this one day while wandering around the library. I find a lot of the books I read that way - I call them impulse check outs! I'm glad I picked this one up. Worth the read if you happen across it like I did.

I give it a 3 - I liked it.


~ Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~ Author Unknown

2 comments:

  1. It sounds good! I'll have to check it out next time I'm at the library or in the bookstore. The town name is hilarious! Moose took a look! LMAO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm a mystery lover. I have added this book to my TBR.
    кєяo's Book Blog

    ReplyDelete

Writing comments is almost as good as reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...