Saturday, April 16, 2011

~Dead Weight~ by Batt Humphreys


Synopsis:  In one of America's most beautiful cities, an ugly crime. Charleston, South Carolina, in 1910 is the scene of a true story. There is a trial in the town, a triangle of animosities. A Jewish merchant murdered, a black man accused and a white populace primed for a hanging.

Into the real events, steps a fictional character. A reporter from New York arrives to cover the story. Hal Hinson follows the facts, but finds that Charleston is a much more complex and seductive city than he imagined. Hinson discovers a dangerous balance in the racial divide, a country of beauty and cruelty, and a love story that reviewers describe as Shakespearean in its ending.  

My thoughts: I'll admit - I checked this book out because I saw (but missed) the authors visit to our local library and that definitely made me curious. I was not disappointed. The author did an excellent job of weaving the fictional Hal HInson into the true life story of Daniel "Nealy" Duncan. The book was made even more sad with the realization that the City of Charleston pretty much tried and convicted an innocent man before his trial even started.  The book is very well written and I highly recommend it.

On a side note, I was looked up the application for the posthumous pardon the author submitted to South Carolina to right the 100 year wrong - it was denied. The article is here. I applaud Mr. Humphries for making the attempt and am saddened that the state is still afraid to correct an injustice. Sorry I got all soapboxy on you.

I give this book a 4 - I loved it. 


~ Anyone who says they have only one life to live must not know how to read a book. ~ Author Unknown

No comments:

Post a Comment

Writing comments is almost as good as reading!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...